Stress fractures are hairline cracks in the bones which carry the weight of the body and in general, it can be said that females are more prone to stress fractures. It is important that every woman knows the causes, symptoms and best treatment for stress fracture in order to be knowledgeable on the subject. Here are 12 things that every woman should know about stress fracture:
- Stress fracture is a hairline crack in any of the weight bearing bones caused due to repeated force or stress and also due to overuse.
- The symptoms of stress fracture include worsening of the pain over time, tenderness around the affected part, limping, and swelling around the fractured area.
- Risk factors that are involved include increased distance, amount, frequency and intensity of an activity in repeated succession.
- Poor support from footwear which affects the weight distribution over the weight bearing bones.
- Females are more prone because of factors like low bone density, a low ration of lean body mass in the lower limbs and low amount of fat intake. Menstrual irregularities can also be a factor for stress fractures, as opined by dr. niraj vora, an Orthopedic Specialist in Mumbai.
- Weak bones caused by medications, osteoporosis and eating disorders are also risk factors for stress fractures.
- Sudden change in the pattern of sports training can also be a risk factor.
- There are various types of bone fractures and treatment which include applying controlled stress to the bones and increasing the density of workload over time through a slow process.
- There are top orthopedic doctors in Mumbai who suggest alternate activities to prevent any injury to the bones.
- Increasing the muscle strength of the legs to allow shock absorption and prevent any muscle fatigue, is another best treatment for stress fracture.
- What an orthopedic specialist in Mumbai like dr. niraj vora would suggest to prevent stress fracture is warming up before exercising which must include stretching.
- Using proper gears can help in preventing stress fracture. Changing of footwear according to activities, and ensuring proper cushioning by the shoes can help in preventing stress fracture.
Guidelines and advices are given by Top Orthopedic Doctors in Mumbai attached to any fracture hospital in Mumbai on how to prevent stress fracture.